Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Caesarea Philippi

 

Me & Mike standing in front of the "Gates of Hades"
The Gates of Hades
 

Caesarea Philippi is an archaeological site in the Golan Heights.  It was an ancient city located at the base of Mt. Hermon.  In 20 BC the area was annexed to the Kingdom of Herod the Great.  It was named Caesarea by Phillip II in honor of Caesar Augustus, but not to confuse it with Caesarea by the sea (Maritime) he added Philippi after himself, thus it became Caesarea Philippi. 

A temple was built honoring the many Greek gods against a large cliff referred to as the "Rock of Gods" in reference to its many shrines built in the side.  A great spring poured out of the mouth of the cave, called the Gates of Hades.  During the Hellenistic period it was the center of pagan activity and the worship of many gods, especially Pan (the half man, half goat, god of fertility)  Sacrifices were thrown into the deep chasm of water.  If the springs below flowed with blood the god had rejected the sacrifice, if the water ran clear, he had accepted it and all would be well.
 
Artist rendition of how the temple may have appeared.
The grotto's where statues of pagan gods were placed.


 
Sam leading our group in study and devotions.  There were 20 of us altogether.
 

Mark 8:27 
And Jesus went forth, and his disciples, into the villages of Caesarea Philippi; and on the way he asked his disciples, saying unto them, "Who do men say that I am?" 
 
 
I wondered to myself, why would Jesus take them to Caesarea Philippi?  This city was reviled by the orthodox rabbis, and it was taught that no good Jew would ever visit there.  A city of pagans, sin city, the Las Vegas of ancient days, and Jesus takes them there of all places.  Reading further in Mark...
 
Mark 8:34-35
And he called out to the multitude with his disciples, and said, "If any man would come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.  For whoever loses his life for my sake shall save it."
 
He called out (the Greek meaning, literally shouting at the top of his voice) to the crowd and His disciples.  And in Matthew's version...
 
Matthew 16:17-18
Jesus replied, "Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by man, but by my Father in heaven.  And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hades will not overcome it.  I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven."
 
I wonder if they were standing at the "Gates of Hades" when He spoke those words.  I can picture Him there, right where Mike and I stood,  with a crowd of sinners and adulterers, and pagan worshippers.  Shouting to be heard, the disciples feeling a little foolish to be standing there with him.
Wondering if they would be laughed or stoned out of town.  I believe Jesus had a very significant reason to take them to this city filled with lust and godlessness.  He was telling the disciples this is where I want you to go forth to build my church.  My love is for everyone.  I have come to save the lost and the forsaken.  We don't need to preach to the ones we know, those who already know and seek God.  We need to reach out our arms to the undesirables of the world.  Like Jesus and the disciples did 2,000 years ago, it is our responsibility as believers to spread the good news, build the church of Jesus, and bring others to know, love, serve, and share God, Yahweh, the one and only true God of all creation.
 
 
Actual stones, floors  & pillars of the ancient temple
 
 
 



1 comment:

  1. Please share your thoughts with me. I would love to get some feedback.

    ReplyDelete